[rancid] PAR Not Changing Process Counts

Piegorsch, Weylin William weylin at bu.edu
Thu Jul 13 03:42:29 UTC 2023

I worked with Heasley (very) sporadically over the past few years on this.  Short version: control-rancid has around line 122:

if [ -z "$ENVFILE" ] ; then

    ENVFILE="${prefix}/etc/rancid.conf"

fi

if [ -f "$ENVFILE" ] ; then

    . $ENVFILE

fi

On my setup, ENVFILE didn’t exist, so the '-z' flag caught and tried to set it.  only problem? ${prefix} also doesn’t exist, so it was trying to find /etc/rancid.conf which yet again also doesn’t exist.

This was all supposed to have been properly set with autoconf during installation.  Near as we can tell, something about my installation made that not stick.  As this is an old problem, an old version of code, and with my fix there are no other identified problems, we didn’t pursue it further.  I manually added prefix=<rancid home directory> just after the copyright notice. This is a solution unique to my setup, but my system now works.

[signature_1593189312]

Weylin Piegorsch |  Manager, Network Engineering
Boston University Information Services & Technology
weylin at bu.edu<mailto:weylin at bu.edu> | 617.353.8128 | bu.edu/tech<http://www.bu.edu/tech>
Listen. Learn. Lead.